Monday, February 18, 2008

Bottom of Barrel Dept.

Hillary said something and then Barack said something and McCain had something to say, too, and Bush blah-blah, and then Hillary...
Bottom line: I'm bored silly with the news today and so probably is everyone else on the blogs I read and look to for inspiration and links, because I remain uninspired and linkless.
Maybe it's post-Potomac/Super Tuesday letdown, brain hormones that had kicked into high gear for more than a month suddenly out of whack and no new excitement in sight.
So, I punted over the weekend. Explored the non-political and found, judging from the comments, some gems.
I've been trying for a couple hours to repeat that lucky streak, but came up dry.
Friend sent me two stories from the New York Times, but the piece on the kind of people on The Nation's egghead cruise to Alaska was too long and the best quote was about the unlikeliness of finding Ralph Nader in the hot tub on the top deck.
The other one was by a progressive Democratic woman who married a Republican and how sincerely happy she was when he voted for Obama. Emphasis on sincerely.
Not even a dribble of snark.
I decided not to even try Wonkette today. Maybe that was a mistake but I'm done.
Fear not, however, I've been holding stuff in reserve for just this situation.
Okay, it's derivative, and there's no link to anything better, but it's mildly amusing.
Otherwise, I got nothin.'
If it's this bad tomorrow, maybe I'll make up a contest. Any suggestions?

FROM THE RESERVES:

I have toyed with the idea of putting together a list of favorite signature lines from progressive commenters at Daily Kos, but in the meantime, here are some from Bill in Portland, ME, who beat me to it. But then, he's getting paid to do this sort of thing.

"'Politics' is made up of two words. 'Poli,' which is Greek for 'many,' and 'tics,' which are bloodsucking insects." Gore Vidal (Kairos)
-

If we Americans analyzed our social problems as much as we analyze pro football, there would be no more AIDS, homeless people, or pregnant teens... (Wry Twinger)
-

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." ~H.L.Mencken (PoliSigh)
-

I don't mind straight people as long as they act gay in public. (International Jock)
-

"If you're going through hell - keep going!" -- Winston Churchill (newbie Keith Olbermann)
-

What you see is what you get, but what you don't see is what ends up getting you. (Existentialist)
-

There are 10 types of people in the world--those who know binary and those who don't. (DoLooper)
-

"Whenever someone says he's going to save your soul, keep a tight grip on your wallet." (bergerc84)
-

"Success is a level of violence where the people feel comfortable about living their daily lives." --George W Bush, May 2, 2007 (Mspicata)
-
"Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected." - Red Buttons (Man in the Middle)

Bill's sig line is "Judge me by the strength of my character, not the underwear on my head."

My line, if I had one, would be, "We're all here because we're not all there." Unofficial city motto, Port Townsend, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment