Sunday, May 18, 2008

Buy O' Teh Week


I was over at the dairy case at my local QFC yesterday, looking for the sour cream we needed for the evening's planned deluxe baked potato.
My eye memory casually swept the yogurt section, unconsciously identified the familiar brand I use for breakfast smoothies and stopped short at something that didn't belong. Consciousness bloomed, I opened the door and reached for the novel golden carton with Greeky looking letters.
I had read a few weeks ago a great New York Times story about how great Greek yogurt is. I figured I might try it next time I was in New York, but the likelihood of finding it here was nil.
Seattle maybe, but not sleepy old Jefferson County, WA.
The NYT said Greek yogurt is creamier, smoother, more substantial than ordinary yogurt. Of course I bought it, and as an extra bonus, it was on sale, two 24 oz. cartons for $3. I bought one, the honey flavored one. I wish I'd bought two.
The Greek Gods brand, made in nearby Mountlake Terrace, was the first thing I pulled out of the grocery bag.
I opened it, and tasted it before even unpacking the rest of my grocery stash.
Mmmm.
I've never really liked yogurt. It has a chalky aftertaste. As a convenient, quick breakfast I've tolerated it off and on over the years. As a filler for the regular morning smoothies — an easy way to get orange juice, blueberries and banana into my meat-centric diet — it's basic sour flavor is hardly noticeable.
But this Greek stuff is entirely different. (My mouth begins to water. I go to the fridge, pull out the Greek yogurt, spoon out a serving and photograph it. Return to the laptop, enjoy a few spoonfuls of subtly cheesy, sweet smoothness that is totally reminiscent of Haagen Das. I think they even have a honey flavor.)
It isn't the sort of thing I want to add fruit to. Maybe with the plain, but this stuff is too good to adulterate and needs no improvement.
This flavor has 160 calories per 4 oz. serving, 90 of them from the 10 grams of fat. It also has 4 grams of protein. As we now know, we all need fat and protein in the morning, not just carbs.
I just had mine, and they were delicious.
No, they don't pay me for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment