Sunday, January 25, 2009

Highly Rec'd TV: From The Brits, Of Course

My local PBS station started airing Doc Martin this week and I must admit I was highly impressed. Anyone who is an Anglophile softie will love it.
It's about a surgeon who suddenly finds himself unable to tolerate the smell of blood or the singeing of blood vessels, so becomes a GP in a small village instead.
He both disappoints and enrages most of the residents his first day, partly because he's cold, blunt, irrascible and tartly witty. In other words, a Brit.
Unlike House, the show is extremely well-written, plotted and acted. (I loved Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster, though. He had such good lines, written by a master.)
It's not listed by PBS as one of its regular offerings, so I don't know how many stations are playing it.
To check out your local station schedule, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment