Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Kabuki, I Tells Ya

So, news is Obama will fight releasing the rest of the torture photos that the ACLU convinced a federal judge to order.
This could be seen as a disappointment in his pledge to do the right thing.
Or it could be seen otherwise. I choose otherwise.
Here's what I sent to TPM today:
This is what I want to believe:

Obama: Look, I get all this flak about endangering our troops over the memos, and now they’re beginning to pile on over the photos. I want to do the right thing. What are the options.
Legal counsel: Well, we could go back to court and make the argument that releasing the photos would release all kinds of hell-to-pay on the soldiers.
Obama: What are the chances the judge(s) will see it that way?
Legal counsel: Zilch.
Obama: Then do it. Let the judge take the heat.

This is what I want to believe, that everything in D.C. Is kabuki. I think I’m right about the last part.

No comments:

Post a Comment