Wednesday, July 15, 2009

10 Books You Don't Need To Read

He They won me over by letting me off the hook on 100 Years of Solitude, then insulted me with including The Corrections. I loved The Corrections. I recommended it to friends. Anyway (is the new whatever.)
Wasn't it Franzen who rediscovered Paula West? Or was it that other guy who writes novels? Anyway.
I forgive him, though, because he's really entertaining:
Allen Ginsberg and Jack Kerouac were the first true nerds who, during a brief window of time, became truly cool. Ginsberg was a physical and intellectual nerd, and Kerouac was an emotional nerd — combined, their forces created a hole in the identity universe into which the distinction between nerd and cool person was exploded into dark matter. In midcentury, all who fell into this roiling cosmic trap became permanently scrambled, identitywise. This galactic disturbance allowed neoliberalism to firmly take hold, such that now the only relevant distinctions between people are levels of disposable income and whether they wear Bluetooth earpieces.

CORRECTION: Authors of the list won me over, authors, writing style varies, still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment