Friday, June 25, 2010

I Am Ashamed

Until today, I had never heard of Terry Pratchett or his wonderful sounding books.
I have only got to the early paragraph below of his two-part lecture on assisted suicide, but so far at least I expect him to become my new advisor on death. I think about it all the time, but it is not considered appropriate material for conversation, even among the people I know must also be thinking about it all the time. It seems to make people nervous.
Tomorrow I go to the library for as much Pratchett as I can find. Thank you once again, Metfilter denizens, without whom I would be a much poorer human being.
If you did not know there was ­anything wrong with me, you would not know there is anything wrong with me. The disease moves slowly, but you know it's there. ­Imagine a very, very slow-motion car crash. Nothing much seems to be ­happening. There's an occasional little bang, a crunch, a screw pops out and spins across the dashboard as if we're in Apollo 13. But the radio is still playing, the heater is on and it doesn't seem all that bad, except for the certain knowledge that sooner or later you will definitely be going headfirst through the windscreen.

UPDATE: The above link is to a short version of Pratchett's lecture.
This is the longer version.

No comments:

Post a Comment