Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Literature

Amazon readers review the best. I laughed so hard at this that I  was crying and clutching my middle:

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (1926)
“Here’s the first half of the book: ‘We had dinner and a few drinks. We went to a cafe and talked and had some drinks. We ate dinner and had a few drinks. Dinner. Drinks. More dinner. More drinks. We took a cab here (or there) in Paris and had some drinks, and maybe we danced and flirted and talked sh*t about somebody. More dinner. More drinks. I love you, I hate you, maybe you should come up to my room, no you can’t’… I flipped through the second half of the book a day or two later and saw the words ‘dinner’ and ‘drinks’ on nearly every page and figured it wasn’t worth the risk.”
I think that is perhaps the best book review I have ever read, on a par with A.O. Scott, a nerdy NYT movie reviewer who consistently manages to pierce my armor with something pithy and worthwhile.
I also think the Morning News is worth a daily read.

No comments:

Post a Comment