Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

"This is nothing. But when I write about it, it will be something." Reinaldo Arena

Jan. 26, 2008

NOTE TO SELF: Think about love today, and beauty, and curiosity. And excellence.

Jack Schnabel wrote this to his son Julian:

"You're a gem of a man, I wonder where people like you are hatched. God sent you to me. Do me a favor, give me a scratch, put me to sleep so I can be reborn. I wish my wife was alive, she'd tell you what a good man I am."


Saturday mornings and early afternoons are the best part of any week because of Weekend Edition, Bob Edwards Weekend and This American Life on KPLU 88.5 out of Tacoma, WA.
Today I think I would like to sit in a room silently and listen to Julian Schnabel talk about anything — but preferably life and death and art. I would not say a word. I would not dare.
If you saw him on Charlie Rose, be assured he was not at his best, and that was Charlie's fault.

If you're curious but don't want to be bound to Saturday morning like I am, you can subscribe for free to podcasts of Edwards.

I think This American Life is also there, but I'm too lazy to find it for you.
As for NPR's weekend edition, I'm not looking for that link right now either. Just Google, and I think you can listen anytime.

If you're curious about Schnabel but don't want to listen to a podcast, see this item about Schnabel's new movie.
Also
here.

MY BEGONIA...
a stunning dark red w/lime green leafed houseplant grown from a cutting my friend Mo gave me a few years ago has always thrived on neglect. Its soil is rank with age, its roots jam the pot. They should be trimmed and the whole thing repotted. It gets no fertilizer. Yet it flourishes on the windowsill, often completely dry when I remember to water. Still, there it is today, I discover as I aim a thin stream into the center mound. It is, unmistakably, blooming for the first time.
Like this blog.

Posted by julimac

No comments:

Post a Comment