Saturday, March 28, 2009

Why Daydream

I am exonerated, amid this ocean of American culture urging me to be busy all the time, if not physically, then at least mentally. "Working" on myself. Fuck work.
While there's some tantalizing evidence linking daydreaming, the default network and creativity, I think the most tangible benefit of boredom is probably social. Mostly, what we daydream about is each other, as the mind retrieves memories, contemplates "what if" scenarios, and thinks about how it should behave in the future. In this sense, the content of daydreams often resembles a soap opera, with people reflecting on social interactions both real and make-believe. We can leave behind the world as it is and start imagining the world as it might be, if only we hadn't lost our temper, or had superpowers, or had used a different pick-up line. It is this ability to tune out the present moment and contemplate the make-believe that separates the human mind from every other.
This is supposed to be about boredom, but I like the daydreaming part, which I don't regard as boredom at all.
On the other hand, it's harder now without cigarettes and red wine. But I'm "working" on it, heh.

1 comment:

  1. You're doing great Julie and I need to know how you do it on word challenge. i still love my kitty-she is tops and on my lap with her arm gently on my hand as i type. see you soon.

    ReplyDelete