Monday, June 29, 2009

Maria Cantwell Tomorrow

will be issuing a statement about her position on the public option, and will clarify her support of the concept, although there is as yet no formal bill she can support.
The statement will also be about her work on five other pieces of the health care bill that she's been working on as her chores for Sen. Max Baucus', (Prick-Mont.) Finance Committee.
You heard it here first.
I never believed it was about the money with Maria. She doesn't get all that much from the industry anyway, and has used her personal — earned, I might add — wealth to fund her campaigns.
What I think is that she's more cautious than necessary, learning to play by the old-boy rules in order to attain some clout over the long term, and when the time came, would have voted right. But now's the time to be speaking up, loudly, so her constituents can hear her. Apparently, that message has found its way to D.C., and I am grateful. Let this be a lesson to Maria and her advisors. Stay in touch out here. We're pissed as hell and not going to take it anymore.
BTW, I called the White House today as well.
Long (maybe 15 min.) wait. First thing I asked was how come no 800 number. Staffer said then I'd never get through.
Cited the Talking Points memo health care article and the underlying report in my support for the public option.
Then I sent my Cantwell letter to the Seattle Times.
That was all before lunchtime. Fun day.
FYI.

UPDATE: I will be reading for you, of course. But TPM, which is doubling its staff, has promised to be on top of health care to the glorious and/or bitter end.
Of course, the Senate is where the major legislative showdown will likely occur. So in some forthcoming posts, we'll be taking a close look at just which senators have taken money from insurers who control major percentages of the state-wide market -- and where those senators stand on the public option. Stay tuned...
UDATE II: Huffpo will go all out, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment