Monday, August 10, 2009

Bad Farmer, Bad Farmer

Not every well-intentioned person agrees with Michael Pollan (who I personally love for Botany of Desire)
but this guy is worth attending to because he knows whereof he speaks.
Sample:
Biotech crops actually cut the use of chemicals, and increase food safety. Are people who refuse to use them my moral superiors? Herbicides cut the need for tillage, which decreases soil erosion by millions of tons. The biggest environmental harm I have done as a farmer is the topsoil (and nutrients) I used to send down the Missouri River to the Gulf of Mexico before we began to practice no-till farming, made possible only by the use of herbicides. The combination of herbicides and genetically modified seed has made my farm more sustainable, not less, and actually reduces the pollution I send down the river. 
Yeah, I know it's from the American Enterprise Institute's magazine American. But Obama is a model for listening to the opposition, and I only caught the guy in one slightly misleading thing, the hypothetical deployment of 7,500 trucks filled with manure to Missouri is not anything anyone but he has envisioned. He does it for rhetorical purposes.

UPDATE: Scratch that. Sigh. Okay, somebody who actually read Pollan's book The Omnivore's Dilemma weighs in at The Dish, which is where I stole the above from.
This has got to be your worst post that I've read, Patrick, and not worthy of the Dish. The very book that's being attacked here refutes almost every argument presented. Did anyone actually read the damn book? This author is a vicious and willfully ignorant denialist, and his supposed indictments of Pollan are so tone-deaf that I find it almost impossible to believe he even read this pragmatic, sensible, and well-supported book.

No comments:

Post a Comment