Friday, October 30, 2009

It's The Story, Stupid

This is perhaps the best analysis I've seen so far of the current state and possible future of print content.
Bottom line: quality sells. Crap is dead.

I predicted this a long time ago, but I can't prove it, so you'll just have to take my word for it.
The truth is, most of what newspapers publish is crap and not worth your time.
What I "publish" is the not-crap I find and you can test the links in mere seconds to see if you agree that it's worth your time.
I'm just a little aggregator. Even the best blogs are little more than that, with some fun conversations for those so inclined (I wouldn't miss T Bone Burnett at Taplin's blog, but I don't miss any of Greenwald's commenters since I quit reading. I quit reading Greenwald because, well, I lost interest. Sorry, Glenn.)
Anyhoo, worth a read:
The real question in the months and years ahead is whether there's a business model that can support good stories. Norman Sims, journalism professor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst: "The great stories will survive. But the question is who's going to pay for them. . . . This is not fast food. This is slow food. And it's expensive."

P.S. One million Web hits. The Girl In The Window.
It's the story, stupid.

2 comments:

  1. Read the entirety of The Girl in the Window. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it, Mardie. Nice to get reinforcement. Nice photo, too.

    ReplyDelete