Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mossoleum

Totally off topic. So far off topic, I may myself be becoming off topic. I am sooo sick of politics.
So, without further ado:
DIY o' teh week.
I'm not much on little home projects, but I might try this. This and the Thai coconut shrimp recipe a friend posted.

Coconut Shrimp
.

Thai Coconut Shrimp
1 1/2 Cups Coconut milk from a can (not a whole can I don't think.)
2 Tablespoons sherry or saki
1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha or similar chili sauce
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix the above together for sauce. Taste it to see if it has the right amount of zip for you. Add chilli sauce if needed.

1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 Tablespoons water
Mix this by itself for a thickening agent for later. If you use light coconut milk, make a good mix of 1/3 C of cornstarch with equal parts water. I mix this much anyway just in case the whole thing doesn't thicken enough.

2 pounds shrimp peeled and deveined
2 Tablespoons oil (peanut preferred)
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (I like more.)
1/2 T or more minced fresh ginger root (I like more.)

Stir fry the above until the shrimp are pink, approximately 3 minutes.

Add the following:
1/3 C chopped fresh basil
1/3 C chopped fresh mint
1/3 C chopped green onions

Toss the above in the stir fry for about 15 to 20 seconds until the leaves just wilt.

Add coconut milk stuff and heat until it boils. Add the thickening cornstarch agent and stir until it gets a little creamy. If it's not, add a little more thickener.

Squeeze in some lime, and serve on rice or noodles. You can top with chopped peanuts or garnish with lime wedges. I just like to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment