Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Two Movies: Inlaws And Outlaws

...and The Trials of Henry Kissinger documentary, which I watched last night, gave me a lot of hope.
First, Inlaws And Outlaws is an affecting accounting by a variety of couples and some singles about marriage with a definite slant toward the gay/lesbian experience. The thing is, the film makers chose people you could really fall in love with as people.
It's not available yet on Netflix, but there's a showing schedule along with DVD buying info and some outtakes available at the Web site.
I just stumbled on it by staying tuned to Channel 9 KCTS after Frontline was over last night.
Now, if you want to set your recorder/Tivo whatever you can also record it at 3 a.m. April 5 on KCTS.
I saw the Kissinger thing on LINK TV, one of the benefits I get as a Direct TV subscriber. It is available from Netflix.
Very well made and when the credits rolled and I saw Alex Gibney's name attached to it, my head jerked and I ran to Google.
Gibney produced Taxi to the Dark Side, a documentary about American torture and murder of an innocent Afghani driver that won this year's Oscar.
He's part of what I call the "vast left wing conspiracy" that includes financing from former eBay president and billionaire Alex Skoll, who's funded a lot of interesting movies with what appears to be a socially progressive intent.
Gibney's finishing a film on gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson and another on the U.S. Attorneys scandal is in the works as well as Freakonomics, due out next year.
Boomer trivia: he's William Sloan Coffin's stepson.
Somehow, Mark Cuban and Al Gore figure into business the mix, too.
One of these days I'll do more research and write about the vast left-wing conspiracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment