Thursday, May 8, 2008

A Conservative Comic

P.J. O'Rourke, who isn't really a comic the same way Jon Stewart isn't really a newsman, is much funnier than Dennis Miller, the only other conservative comic I know of.
O'Rourke, who makes a living writing and occasionally commenting from the right, has published a 2008 commencement address.
Sometimes, he lies.
As in:
"In a free society, with the rule of law and property rights, no one loses when someone else gets rich."

But you know he's just joking.
And sometimes, he's hilarious. As in:
All politics stink. Even democracy stinks. Imagine if our clothes were selected by the majority of shoppers, which would be teenage girls. I'd be standing here with my bellybutton exposed. Imagine deciding the dinner menu by family secret ballot. I've got three kids and three dogs in my family. We'd be eating Froot Loops and rotten meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment