Friday, August 8, 2008

Anger Causes Cancer

I don't believe that, but if it makes "womanofacertainage" feel better, or resolved or resigned, who am I to challenge her in her last days. I may be in my own last days. Who knows?
Anyway, here's a snippet for a really great essay.
Sometime around February, I became an Obama supporter.  And by that I mean that I decided to take him at his word and seriously consider the implications of doing politics HIS way.  Mind you, I am used to being on the losing end of presidential politics but I am not resigned to it by any means.  I spent so much energy in a rage over George Bush and the war in Iraq that I think that rage is partially responsible for the terminal cancer I have developed.  Being angry for a very long time KILLS a person.  And I was angry.  I wanted a Presidential candidate who would be an avenging angel, who would smite the godless republicans, who would punish them for their evil deeds, who would fearlessly force them to back down like the pack of snarling dogs they are.

But then, my teenage son, an Obama supporter since early 2007, started to seriously talk with me about politics and he opened my eyes to a few things. 

1.  He, and many other first time voters his age are truly sick and tired of the rage and the passion and the futility of what passes for politics in this country.  He did not then, and does not now, see Obama's refusal to play tit for tat as a sign of weakness.  Where many people see John McCain hitting and Obama not hitting back, others see Obama not getting all caught up in the bullshit, not losing focus, not playing the same tired game, the same tired way.  And they are refreshed and renewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment