Friday, February 6, 2009

Foodie Alert

We in the Seattle area (I'm two hours and one ferry ride away) are lucky to have such delights as Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, but I hardly ever get to go to either of them.
But I'm only 45 minutes away from the Poulsbo Central Market, which also has outlets on Bainbridge Island and operates stores in Shoreline, Mill Creek, calling itself the Ballard Market (15th Ave. one block north of Market Street) and Greenwood Market (on north 85th and 3rd Ave.)
I assume they're all as delightful as I found the Poulsbo store yesterday, the first time in about two years since I've been.
Wonderful prepared food and they carry a full array of my favorite curry and Indian related food items in a section called International Market. I was looking for a Pho base, and sure enough, found two. While marveling over all the great stuff, another customer convinced me to try furikake, which she said is great on rice and eggs, pasta and salades.
I got the traditional flavor with toasted sesame and seaweed and am looking forward to trying the kimchi flavor as well.
I will regret to the end of days not buying a can of spotted dick from the Brits. It was worth it just for the amusement factor alone.
(They also had a better selection of organic red wines   -- minimum sulfites, which are bad for respiratory  problems --- than even my local coop, which is very well stocked.)

2 comments:

  1. The ones in Seattle are not up to the level of the one in Paulsbo. The one in Ballard is OK, but has two major drawbacks:
    1. They do not stock Hagen Daz Rum Raisin ice cream (what is it with all these dumb modern flavors? What do we need except Rum Raisin, Coffee, and Butter Pecan?)
    2. They do not stock lactose free ice cream. We have asked for it, but bupkiss so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love central market. wine selection is always good. you would have never been able to sneak your spotted dick into the country. There has been a ban on all michael jackson cockmeat for a long time now. only allowed for boys 6-12.

    ReplyDelete