Thursday, May 21, 2009

Scratch A Truth Commission

I'm taking down the petitions and going with this:

I think the President rejected a Truth Commission for two fundamental reasons: he rejected it as a matter of process because he believes it can be addressed elsewhere in government; and he rejected it because the idea of establishing a Truth Commission in such a charged atmosphere would be tantamount to--if I may mix metaphors for a moment--ringing the dinner bell on a three-ring circus in this town at a time where the oxygen required to keep messaging, and thus policy, alive and well would be sucked up.
Now, I know some will say, yes, but maybe he wants to rule out a truth commission because he can't effectively kill a Truth Commission, but he can tamp down prosecution if it is led by a department of the executive branch.
I think that is a cynical view.
I think the President respects, and wants to restore, the Department of Justice to its rightful place: as representatives of the American people in the cause of justice in defense of the Constitution.  And not, as it has been in large measure for the last 8 years, a White House tool for  implementing ideological policy goals, law be damned; and, perhaps more damaging, as a shop to help cover, excuse me, a lot of ass.
Those days are gone. I can see it from here, where I sit, on the inside.
So, for President Obama to make that statement--"The Department of Justice and our courts can work through and punish any violations of our laws"--he meant it.  
He is not shutting the door on prosecutions.  He could have shut the door today, but he did not.
He's going to let this Department--a group of attorneys who cherish their independence and role as protectors of the Constitution and the laws of this nation--look into the matter. 
It's interesting, and maybe remarkable, that the Department of Justice would allow one of its attorneys to post at Daily Kos and identify himself, while declaiming any connection to policy, of course.
Sullivan loved this speech, as did many others.
Greenwald, predictably, is not happy. He is the loyal opposition. Nowadays, I let others read him and tell me when he's got something worth perking up my ears for.
It's playing out daily, and it's kabuki, I tells ya.

UPDATE: Looking over his previous posts, I think this guy Thorwald is somebody I'd like to have a cup of coffee with.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment