Friday, July 11, 2008

Nostalgia: Trip, Dip, And Double Dip, DROP

I had no idea there were still wooden roller coasters in this country, what with all the fancy dancy, high-tech stuff at all the the theme parks.
But not only are there wooden roller coasters like the one I loved so much at the now demolished Ramona Park in Grand Rapids, Mich., but they're still designing and building new ones.
If you scroll down and look for it on the left, you can find today's NYT video tour of the 15 wooden roller coasters in Pennsylvania. It's still fun.
I think it's that old clickety-clackety ride to the top of the first drop that is the real thrill. Ramona had the big drop right up front.
You can search wooden roller coasters on YouTube to relive your youth as well, but I didn't find any worth linking and began to feel a little sick to my stomach.
Interesting fact: People make backyard roller coasters.
And only upon discovering them did I realize they are largely self-propelled.
So much for my physics. I think I want one.
Oh, okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment