Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Have A Laff

I really hate Christopher Hitchens for any number of very good reasons (he's a fascist, maybe, he keeps defending Iraq, he thinks he knows about things he doesn't know about) but he made me laugh out loud or, rather, his account of Phyllis Diller's Xmas card did, so I refer you to the entire piece on Christmas aversion, which I share.

I had never before been a special fan of that great comedian Phyllis Diller, but she utterly won my heart this week by sending me an envelope that, when opened, contained a torn-off square of brown-bag paper of the kind suitable for latrine duty in an ill-run correctional facility. Duly unfurled, it carried a handwritten salutation reading as follows:


Money's scarce
Times are hard
Here's your f******
Xmas card

No comments:

Post a Comment